Friday, 19 April 2013

Brighton Marathon 2013

It came, I ran and I conquered!!!
Two years ago when I finally decided I wanted to take my running more serious, I never thought I'd be able to run a marathon, I didn't even wanna try!
I used to run to keep fit for football and life in general but I would never run over 4 miles ( I didn't think I could ).
So after a little time I started getting up to 7+ miles and I thought that maybe if I push myself harder I could run longer distance's, so that's when I started signing up for events.
The logic in my head was if I've got something to aim for I'm gonna train harder as I don't wanna let myself down or look like a clown infront of a crowd.
So after signing up to the Brighton Marathon last October I've been running on average 3 times a week, between 6-10 miles on a week night, with a long run on the Sunday. Each Sunday I'd add an extra mile till I reached 21 miles, the week before the big day.
I was pretty nervous on the day and judging by the 3, half mile long queues for the toilets there, most other people were nervous too!
The race started at 9AM and with my predicted time of under 4 hours I was placed in the front section, which I was pleased about as I missed being in the congested area ( slightly behind ) which can add a good few minutes on your finish time. I did have a time in my head I wanted to complete the race in ( 3 hours 45 mins ) but to be honest, as it was my first marathon, I just wanted to finish.
The first 14 miles flew by, with me running my fastest long distance minutes per miles I've done, due to the massive help and energy given to me by the crowd, my 2 friends which came and the huge support of my loving wife. In total I saw them 5 times around the course cheering me on!!!
Things started to get dark between miles 18-22 though. The industrial area was free from crowds and stunk of fish and I really had to dig deep to keep going. Luckily after here the final 4 and a bit miles were along the coast, with it's nice sea breeze, cooling me down and the cheering crowds I got a second wind and made my way to the finish line. Opting to keep my pace and not over doing it like some fellow runners did, which was clearly a bad move for them as 6 people alone that I saw pulled up with muscle strains!!!
I ran across the finish line in a time of 3 hours and 41 mins ( which I was well pleased with ) and bowed my head to recieve my finishers medal very proudly.
I'm not gonna lie I was in alot of pain when I finished and the following 4 miles of walking to the train and from the train to our friends house felt awful, but to be fair I think it helped in the end as I didn't get stiff.
I did tell my wife after that I don't wanna do it again but after the aches went all I can think is, I gotta do it in 3 hrs 30 mins. So I can see me back there in 2015!
Congrats to everyone that finished and my condolences go out to the family of Sam the young lad who died during the race of heart complications, raising money for other people to give them a better life.

Keep running and show your support for the victims of Boston #runforboston

No comments:

Post a Comment